• Dunlop developed the SP Sport Maxx GT 600 ultra-high performance tire exclusively for Nissan’s GT-R supercar
• Tested at the Nürburgring, the SP Sport Maxx GT 600 features race-inspired technologies and patented Dunlop innovations
• The Nissan GT-R receives engine and suspension refinements for 2013, and will come exclusively on Dunlop tires
AKRON, Ohio, April 5, 2012 – When the 2013 Nissan GT-R rolls into dealer showrooms this spring, it will arrive with more horsepower, a retuned suspension system and ultra-high performance Dunlop tires.
According to Nissan, major refinements to the 2013 GT-R’s 3.8-liter twin turbo V6 engine resulted in an increased output of 545 horsepower—15 hp over the 2012 model. Similarly, torque has been increased to 463 lb-ft from 448 lb-ft. The engine is even hand-assembled in a special clean room, similar to racing powerplant construction.
To put that power into motion, Nissan worked with Dunlop to develop a tire exclusively for the R35 GT-R which would maximize the all-wheel-drive supercar’s performance. The result was Dunlop’s SP Sport Maxx GT 600 DSST CTT—the exclusive original equipment tire of the 2013 Nissan GT-R.
The SP Sport Maxx GT 600 builds upon Dunlop’s strong track record of building ultra-high performance tires. It features a high-grip, silica-reinforced tread compound, solid center rib to help enhance steering response and driver feedback, an asymmetric tread pattern to provide a balance of performance in wet and dry conditions, and circumferential grooves to help evacuate water for enhanced wet traction. To strengthen the link between the tire and rim, a unique bead shape was developed.
The SP Sport Maxx GT 600 also incorporates many innovative Dunlop technologies, including:
• Dunlop Self-Supporting Technology (DSST): a patented, reinforced sidewall construction designed to temporarily support the weight of the car after a loss of air pressure.
• Combined Tire Technology (CTT): allows for less tire weight and a rounder cavity shape which helps improve ride comfort.
• Jointless Band Technology: a continuous spiral fabric ply helps maintain the tire's shape, enabling smooth performance at high speeds.
• Multi-Pitch Tread Design Technology: helps reduce noise for a quiet ride.
“The Nissan GT-R represents one of the ultimate achievements in automotive performance and innovation,” said Jonathan Lee, Dunlop brand general manager. “Nissan’s choice of the SP Sport Maxx GT 600 is evidence that Dunlop delivers the tire technology and performance to match.”
The race-inspired tire, tested at Germany’s famed Nürburgring, will appear on the 2013 Nissan GT-R in sizes P255/40ZRF20 (front) and P285/35ZRF20 (rear).
Dunlop is a global tire brand with an excellent reputation among performance car enthusiasts. Well known for its prestigious sports car racing heritage, many of the world’s leading vehicle manufacturers—including Alfa Romeo, AMG, Audi, Bentley, BMW, Jaguar, Lexus, Mercedes-Benz, Nissan and Porsche—come standard with Dunlop tires. For more information on Dunlop, visit www.dunloptires.com.